The sweet and sour onions, in italian it is called onions agrodolce, is a fragrant and aromatic side dish made with a mixture of water, sugar and vinegar.
One of the best varieties of onion that lends itself to the creation of this dish are the white onions in May a typical variety of onions from Italy with a flattened shape and delicate taste.
Before listing the ingredients for the preparation of sweet and sour onions, I wanted to inform you that, although the preparation of the dish has nothing difficult, is not to be considered a quick meal; the success of the same fact is related to a slow cooking.
- 1kg white onions;
- glass of water;
- half a cup of wine vinegar;
- 3 tablespoons of sugar;
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil;
sweet and sour onions
- Peel the onions and wash them under running water and cut them in two as shown in the picture.
- Put them in a pan. Add directly into the pan and over the onions, a glass of water and half a cup of white wine vinegar.
- Sprinkle the onion with 3 teaspoons of sugar, sprinkle with olive oil and a pinch of salt, turn the heat at the lowest level, cover with a lid and simmer for at least 30 minutes.
- After half an hour remove the cover and let the vinegar-sugar mixture boil down to a thick syrup. If you love the strong flavors, you can use balsamic vinegar instead of the white one, it will be a dish more spicy dish.